Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (1-oz.) package 30% less sodium taco seasoning
- 2 green or red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 medium-size red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16-oz.) container refrigerated fresh salsa
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Rub both sides of chicken breasts with taco seasoning, reserving excess seasoning. Place in center of baking sheet. Toss bell pepper and onion with olive oil and remaining seasoning in a large bowl. Spread around chicken on baking sheet. Pour salsa over chicken.
- Bake 25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- While chicken and vegetables bake, cook rice according to package directions.
- Slice chicken. Scoop rice evenly onto each of 4 dinner plates. Top with chicken, bell peppers and onions, cheese, and cilantro (if using).
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
450 calories; 11 g total fat; 3 g saturated fat; 34 g protein;
48 g carbohydrate; 5 g fiber; 750 mg sodium