Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-oz.) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
Note: This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for your Super Bowl party. Keep Sloppy Joe mixture warm in a small slow cooker and allow guests to serve themselves.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion, carrot, garlic, and pepper to pan; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until meat is browned and vegetables are tender, stirring to crumble beef.
- Stir together tomato sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and mustard in a bowl. Add to pan, stirring to coat meat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 8 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon about ¾ cup meat mixture onto bottom half of each bun; cover with top halves of buns.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
370 calories; 14 g total fat; 4.5 g saturated fat; 19 g protein;
35 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 330 mg sodium