Makes 4 servings
- 2 (8-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise. Place in a large zip-top plastic bag. Pound to an even thickness. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with Italian seasoning and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, swirling to coat. Add chicken, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Transfer skillet to oven, and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is done and a thermometer reads 165˚F.
- Top chicken with tomato slices and cheese. Bake 2 to 3 minutes longer or until cheese melts. Drizzle with vinegar.
- While chicken bakes, prepare zucchini. Trim ends from zucchini. Lay a box grater on its side on a cutting board with the largest holes facing up. Push zucchini along the grater in long strokes to create long, thin strands.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Add zucchini, and cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Season with remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
270 calories; 11 g total fat; 3.5 g saturated fat; 34 g protein;
6 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 500 mg sodium