Makes 6 servings (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 8 oz. uncooked whole grain rotini pasta
- 12 oz. fresh broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 ½ cups shredded 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz. (2 cups) chopped cooked chicken breast
Note: Purchase boneless, skinless chicken breasts (on sale this week) and bake at 400˚F for about 20 to 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165˚F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during last 2 minutes of cooking time; drain.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium heat; whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Add 2 cups cheese, mustard, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in chicken and broccoli. Serve immediately.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
440 calories; 17 g total fat; 10 g saturated fat; 33 g protein;
39 g carbohydrate; 6 g fiber; 720 mg sodium