Makes 10 1-cup servings
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or creole seasoning
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no added salt diced tomatoes
- 6 oz. turkey Italian sausage
- 3 cups frozen cut okra
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Evenly distribute seasoning over chicken breasts and bake at 350 degrees F until chicken is no longer pink, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in an iron skillet, heat oil. Add flour by sprinkling over hot oil, a tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly with a wooden spoon.
- When mixture turns a light brown and begins to thicken, add vegetables and continue stirring. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer flour and vegetable mixture to a stock pot. Add broth, tomatoes, sausage, okra and seasoning.
- When chicken is cooked, shred and add to the gumbo.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
160 calories; 8 g total fat; 0.5 g saturated fat; 13 g protein;
9 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 170 mg sodium