Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash, cut into thin half moons
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can no-salt-added petite diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced fresh basil (optional)
Serve with crusty Italian bread, if desired.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven or large
deep skillet over medium-high heat, swirling to coat. Add chicken, and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each
side or until browned. Remove from skillet.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in skillet, and add onion, zucchini or squash, and mushrooms. Sauté
8 minutes or until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning,
and sauté 30 seconds.
- Stir in chicken broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan, and reduce heat. Cover
and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in basil (if using).
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
260 calories; 9 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 28 g protein;
17 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 570 mg sodium