Makes 4 servings
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 chicken leg quarters (about 2½ lb.)
- Juice of ½ lemon
Note: Add green beans or your favorite vegetable for a well-balanced and complete meal.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Toss together onion, oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet. Loosen skin from chicken thigh and leg by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper under skin. Place chicken on top of onions in pan, and squeeze lemon juice over all.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 175˚F. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove and discard skin from chicken. To separate the thigh and the drumstick, place the leg quarter skin side down on a cutting board. Hold the drumstick and cut through the connective joint along the line of fat separating the drumstick and thigh. Repeat with other leg quarter. Serve one piece of chicken per person with onions.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
220 calories; 9 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 31 g protein;
3 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 400 mg sodium