Makes 4 servings (2 tacos per serving)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ¼ cups cooked brown lentils (about 1 cup
- dried lentils)
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 8 ingredients (through cayenne pepper), and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in lentils and 2 tablespoons water, and cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated and water is evaporated.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Fill tortillas with lentil mixture, lettuce, cheese, tomato and yogurt.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
400 calories; 11 g total fat; 4 g saturated fat; 24 g protein;
55 g carbohydrate; 14 g fiber; 560 mg sodium