Makes 8 one-cup Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon harissa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can no added salt canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups 33% reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cups diced zucchini
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can no added salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil in stock pot. Add onions, garlic, and spices and mix well.
- Place chicken on top of onion mixture and simmer for about 6 minutes, turning chicken
- When chicken has browned on both sides, add tomatoes, broth, carrots, zucchini, and
chick peas and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat off.
- Shred chicken with two forks into bitesize pieces.
- Return to heat and simmer 5 more minutes.
Nutrition [Per Serving – about 1 cup]:
170 calories; 6 g total fat; 1.5 g saturated fat; 15 g
protein; 13 g carbohydrate; 3g fiber; 470 mg sodium