Makes 6 servings (about 1⅔ cups)
- 12 oz. uncooked penne pasta
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (24-oz.) can pasta sauce
- 1 (5-oz.) package fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Note: This crowd-pleasing pasta recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes for a busy weeknight dinner. Choose lean ground beef, if desired, to reduce the fat and calories.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook ground beef, onion, bell pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic in a Dutch oven or large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned, about 6 minutes, stirring to crumble. Drain, if necessary.
- Stir in pasta sauce. Bring to a simmer. Stir in spinach, and cook 1 minute longer or just until spinach wilts.
- Stir in pasta. Sprinkle with cheese, and stir gently until cheese melts.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
470 calories; 13 g total fat; 5 g saturated fat; 29 g protein; 56 g carbohydrate;
3 g fiber; 700 mg sodium