Makes 6 servings (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 1 (12-oz.) package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups cooked and chilled instant brown rice
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Note: Purchase boneless, skinless chicken breasts and bake at 400˚F for about 20 to 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165˚F.
- Prepare vegetables according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add eggs; cook 3 minutes or until set, stirring gently. Remove from skillet; chop egg.
- Add garlic to skillet, and sauté 1 minute or until fragrant. Add rice, and sauté until toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, vegetables, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in scrambled egg. Serve with additional soy sauce, if desired.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
370 calories; 10 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 22 g protein;
47 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 290 mg sodium