Makes 4 servings
- 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- ¾ cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 (1-lb.) package fresh collard greens
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
- Bring 2 cups broth, the water, and ½ teaspoon pepper to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk in grits; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Keep warm.
- Heat 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil in a large cast-iron or heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and 2 teaspoons garlic, and sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add ⅛ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir in collard greens and 1 cup broth. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until greens are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and tomatoes. Remove mixture from pan. Keep warm.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat. Toss shrimp, remaining 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Add to pan, and sauté 4 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve collard green mixture and shrimp over grits.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
340 calories; 9 g total fat; 2.5 g saturated fat; 27 g protein;
36 g carbohydrate; 7 g fiber; 1260 mg sodium