Makes 6 Servings
- 1 lb chicken breast, baked and chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (14.5 oz) no added salt pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 1 medium avocado, chopped
- Place chicken breast in bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle with black pepper. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Alternately, place peppered chicken in a baking pan, add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover the pan with foil and bake in a 375° oven for 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 165°.
- Meanwhile, with two or more stacked, cut tortillas in half, then into thin strips with kitchen shears. Place on large sheet pan, lined with parchment paper, in a single layer. Spray with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Bake on 375° for 8-10 minutes. Toss and cook an additional 5-8 minutes. Set aside.
- In an iron skillet, mix enchilada sauce, salsa, and remaining spices until combined. Heat on medium high heat until warm. Add chopped chicken and beans and stir, just until blended. Add cheese and continue cooking until cheese is melted, approximately 5 minutes.
- Top mixture with tomatoes, onions, jalapeno and avocado. Cut into 6 wedges. When plated, add crispy tortilla strips.
Nutrition [Per Serving: 1/6 Recipe]:
380 calories; 11g total fat; 3g saturated fat; 30g protein;
41g carbohydrate; 7g fiber; 520mg sodium