Makes 8 servings
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 2 large Gala apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 (3-lb.) boneless Boston butt pork roast, skin and excess fat removed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Stir together brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add apples, onion and cranberries, stirring to coat. Season roast with salt and pepper, and place on top of apple mixture in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
370 calories; 19 g total fat; 7 g saturated fat; 27 g protein;
23 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 210 mg sodium