Makes 8 servings (1⅓ cups)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (1-lb.) package 97% lean ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey, bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and cook, stirring to crumble, 6 to 8 minutes or until browned.
Transfer mixture to a slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on low power for about 6 hours.
Note: Serve with a dash of hot sauce, and top with shredded low-fat cheese, light sour cream, chopped green onions, or fresh cilantro, if desired.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
190 calories; 3.5 g total fat; 0.5 g saturated fat; 17 g protein;
22 g carbohydrate; 6 g fiber; 440 mg sodium