Makes 4 servings (1 serving = 1 tilapia fillet and 1 cup slaw)*
- 1 (16-oz.) package old fashioned or tricolor coleslaw
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- ½ cup thinly sliced Vidalia onion
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 large fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 4 (5-oz.) tilapia fillets
*Nutrition information is for 1 tilapia fillet and 1 cup slaw. Recipe yields 8 (1-cup) portions of slaw.
- Combine coleslaw, pineapple, onion, cilantro and jalapeno in a large bowl.
- Whisk together oil, lime juice, honey, ½ teaspoon salt and the pepper in a small bowl. Pour oil mixture over coleslaw mixture, and toss to coat. Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Stir together chili powder, cumin and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and rub all over fish fillets.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat skillet with cooking spray, and add fish. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve fish with slaw.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving: 1 tilapia fillet and 1 cup slaw]:
260 calories; 12 g total fat; 2 g saturated fat; 30 g protein;
11 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 380 mg sodium