Makes 4 servings
- 4 (6-inch) whole-wheat pita rounds
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) package baby bella mushrooms
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 (4-oz.) log goat cheese (or 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place pitas on an ungreased baking sheet. Combine garlic and 1 teaspoon oil; brush evenly over pitas. Bake 5 minutes.
- While pitas bake, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until all liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are browned. Stir in salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Remove pitas from oven, and top with tomato slices, mushrooms, and cheese.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes longer or until pitas are browned. Top with basil before serving.
*Recipe prepared by registered dietitians from St. Vincent’s Health System.
Nutrition [Per Serving]:
290 calories; 10 g total fat; 4.5 g saturated fat; 14 g protein;
40 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 550 mg sodium